Lose Weight Eating Fat

coconut-oil

You read that right. Contrary to popular belief, the very thing advertising told us to cut out of our eating lifestyle is one of the essential things our body needs to burn fat.

In 1977, Senator George McGovern presented his scientific report findings to congress. His report predicted to show the scientific proof that we should consume plant-based foods for the majority of our diet. He predicted a future of Americans with skyrocketing health care cost, an obesity epidemic, widespread disease and multiple other predictions that all ended up coming true for our nation and many countries for that matter. Senator McGovern’s concern was about the nation being confused about how to obtain maximum health and wanted to teach US citizens how to do it right. As a result of the report, the food industry united together and decided to go against the truths of the report, modify and re-publish it. They knew that it would significantly reduce profits to promote the healthy lifestyles. I’ll cover more about this information in an upcoming post.

Fast forward to today. We now have a false understanding that we must eat low-fat or fat-free if we’re going to lose weight. Follow that up with exercise and you’ll be on your way to optimal health. That’s what I grew up hearing and was taught in school.

“A low-fat diet has been shown to actually cause lifetime weight gain”  –Dr. Ben Lerner

What replaced the fats in our food is sugar. They had to fix the awful taste and that was their fix. There are over 41 different terms for sugar now.

It turns out the very same people that make our foods have lied to us to pad their pockets at the expense of our nation’s health.

The truth is, consuming healthy fats as part of our diets is essential for weight loss. It also makes food taste richer and more fulfilling.

Fortunately, we’re in the information age which has provided resources to educate and teach each other the truths about truly healthy eating.

Maintaining healthy weight comes down to understanding the difference between healthy fats and harmful fats.

Fat Misconceptions

Dietary fat is necessary for every meal. 20-30 percent of calories should come from fat. Cutting out fat is not a viable option to lose weight.

Even today, butter has gotten a bad reputation because of “saturated fat”. Much of the information around this is untrue and stems from the food industry marketing. A 2010 scientific review showed that there is no link between saturated fats and heart disease or stroke as we’ve been told. In fact, saturated fats have many benefits if you eat the right foods. Some examples of these foods are grass-fed red meat.

Nature’s Weapon: Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is almost 92% saturated fat. That sounds high but a single tablespoon can cook an entire dinner portion of meat. The remaining 8 percent is comprised of healthy mono-saturated fats and poly saturated fats.

Unlike olive oil, coconut oil can be used at high temps and not turn rancid.

Coconut oil helps the body fight viruses and bacteria not to mention, assists in speeding up the metabolism.

Fats to Avoid

You want to keep cheap hydrogenated oils like vegetable and canola out of your pantry. Also, stay away from the extremely harmful trans fats which are known to lead to coronary heart disease. The USDA recommends less than 2 grams per day. The truth is that there is no reason or amount that is safe for the body. Just eliminate it and choose health-promoting good fats for sustainable weight management.

Healthy Fat Benefits

Healthy fats are foods like avocado, walnuts, flax seeds, coconut, olive and fish oil, and naturally raised animal products.

This helps improve skin and hair health, nervous system function and energy levels.

Compared to proteins and carbohydrates (four calories per gram), fats contain nine calories per gram. Since your body burns calories to fuel its natural processes, fat is an excellent source of energy.

Foods marked “low-fat” and “fat-free” do not offer this benefit (they are actually more likely to zap energy than providing it). When low-fat foods are manufactured, the natural fat content is stripped away. The modified food is then loaded with inflammation-causing sugar and starch to replace the hearty taste of the removed fat.

Poly and monounsaturated fats like salmon and olive oil, respectively, can help lower triglyceride levels and decrease inflammation—both of which aid in the weight-loss process.

Adding Healthy Fats to Your Diet

Even if weight loss is not of interest to you, maintaining a proper weight is essential to fighting off long-term, chronic diseases.

Start incorporating healthy fats today and watch your weight and overall health change dramatically!

Please comment if you have a story related to this. I’d love to hear it and so would others.

Happy eating!