As parents, we are faced with the decision, “to vaccinate or not vaccinate”. The influenza vaccine alone is linked to neurological disorders including Autism and ADD. Today, children from birth to 6 years old receive 49 doses of 14 different vaccines. Government agencies are trying to make it official law, for children 24 months to 4 years old to be vaccinated. Therefore, that makes it mandatory for our kids to have a flu shot or else they cannot attend school. According to Immunize.org, the top medical and health organizations are pushing for this. California Governor Jerry Brown made headlines for signing into law, mandatory vaccinations for children in order to attend school. Am I the only one that finds all of this fishy? Sounds like someone’s getting their pockets padded again. If it doesn’t throw up red flags for you yet, maybe it will by the end of this article.
The United States is the most medicated and most vaccinated country in the world. There’s no coincidence that we are the sickest country in the world also. With that said, you have to give credit where credit is due. There have been some very successful vaccinations also. Forbes has a great infographic to show just how successful some vaccines have been. However, at what cost? This graphic shows what I mean.
In this article, I will be leading you to the facts about flu shots, the ugly truth about what is in it and how it’s doing the anything but prevention medicine. The example is the influenza vaccine but this information can be and should be applied to all vaccines. You need to make an informed decision for yourself and your family.
I believe in Functional and Integrative Medicine and I don’t assume the human body is subject to illness when the proper diet and lifestyle precautions are taken. When someone gets sick, it takes some investigative work to figure out what their bodies imbalance might be. It’s a small amount of effort to keep your body healthy and away from harmful, often deadly drugs.
Is the Flu Vaccine Doing the Job?
If you ask the government, they will tell you every person age 6 and up should get a flu shot EVERY year. So does the flu shot actually work? Scientists say it does not work all that well. In fact, the scientists at the Cochran Central Register state that on 70,000 patients studied, for active influenza vaccine, 95% showed only “modest effect on time off work and had no effect on hospital admissions or complication rates.” “Inactivated vaccines caused local harms and caused an estimated 1.6 additional cases of Guillain-Barré Syndrome per million vaccinations.” In lamens terms, that is roughly eleven thousand people who would potentially contract Guillain-Barré Syndrome, a debilitating disease that attacks the neurological system. 
So far it doesn’t look good for the flu vaccine. Math is against it and so is science. So what else is there to talk about? Let’s wrap this up right? I can’t let you go without all the facts. The Cochran study above was from 2007, so the 2014 report will surely yield much better results. Not so much, in fact, the numbers were even worse. Only 2.4% of unvaccinated versus 1.1% vaccinated individuals tested actually contracted laboratory-confirmed influenza. Is that enough margin for the government to mandate a vaccine to you? Didn’t think so. 
By the way, if you want facts from another source that’s considered reputable, here’s the CDC’s statement. “the flu vaccine reduced a person’s risk of having to seek medical care at a doctor’s office for flu illness by 19%.” For most vaccines and medications produced by “Big Pharma”, 19% success rate is considered a failure and would be scrapped. 
What’s in the Flu Shot?
The ingredients of the influenza vaccine are staggering, to say the least. I honestly don’t know how the FDA administrators sleep at night.
Flu Vaccine Ingredients 
- Thimerosal – Mercury
- Aluminum Salts – Aluminum, the FDA allows .85 – .125 mg/dose. Its stated purpose is to “enhances the antigenicity of some vaccines.”
- Sugars & Gelatin – Self-explanatory. Why does a vaccine need sugar, though? No explanation here. Gelatin, however, is somewhat positive depending on where it’s sourced.
- Egg Protein – Used as the aid for growing bacteria in order multiply the vaccine.
- Formaldehyde – A carcinogen linked to Cancer, leukemia and brain cancer to name a few. It is a chemical used for and in building materials.
- Neomycin – Used primarily as an antibiotic, it is known to cause hearing and liver issues along with seizures to name a few. Too many side effects to list here.
To sum this up, we have a super cocktail that’s destined to prevent, I mean, cause sickness and disease. To be fair, there is a version of the vaccine called the “single dose” that doesn’t contain Mercury. In my opinion, it doesn’t change things.
Can We Prevent the Flu Naturally?
YES, it is so easy too! Our immune system is fully capable of fighting the flu off on its own if given the right fuel. Instead of waiting for the flu to hit you and use synthetic drugs like the flu vaccine that will harm your body, build up your immune strength by using the preventions listed below.
Top 10 Ways to Prevent the Flu (without a vaccine)
- Get adequate amounts of Vitamin D – Supplement with one, Vitamin D3 5000 daily. Our bodies do not get enough naturally from sunlight these days due to office jobs and most Americans are deficient.
- Use Herbal Supplements
- Brewers Yeast – Reduces risk of getting the flu and if contracted, helps you to recover faster.
- Echinacea – Perfect for fighting infections. Doctors of Functional Medicine suggest taking it as soon as signs of sickness begin to occur.
- Elderberry – Boosts immune system and reduces the severity of the flu if used once symptoms occur.
- Garlic – People that took a garlic supplement for 12 weeks got about 60% fewer colds and flu’s than those who didn’t and recovered faster if they did get it.
- Olive Leaf – Acts as an anti-viral, anti-inflammatory.
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Baking Soda – There’s a lot of evidence around this one. So much that you should research them all on your own. It is recommended to dissolve ½ teaspoon of baking soda in water 6 times a day at the first day of symptoms, 4 times a day the second, and two times on the third.
- Vitamin C – Boosts the immune system. Take 1000 mg per day, 500 in the AM and 500 in the PM. Your body cannot absorb all 1000 at once. The body will only absorb 500 mg at a time and flush out the remaining, so make sure to spread it out.
- Vitamin D – Sunlight provides it naturally for us but we need more. Take a Vitamin D3 5000 supplement daily, regardless of symptoms.
- Zinc – Known to decrease symptoms but can also harm you if you take too much. Only use 50-100 mg per day max.
- Vegetable Juices
- Drinking vegetable juices once or more a week will give your body more vitamins, minerals, etc. that taking supplements. This is why I highly suggest making fresh vegetable juice using organic produce. My favorites are my Healing Green Juice and Replenishing Red Juice. Add broccoli to the green juice to give your immune system that extra boost.
- Essential Oils
- According to Pubmed and a plethora of other studies, essential oils such as Thieves and Frankincense aid in the prevention of the influenza virus. A popular use for this is a hot Thieves Tea. 
Let us know some of your suggestions.
- Cochran Central Register – http://www.cochrane.org/CD001269/ARI_vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults
- PubMed 2007 – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20614424
- PubMed 2014 – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24623315
- CDC – http://www.cdc.gov/flu/news/updated-vaccine-effectiveness-2014-15.htm
- Flu Ingredients – http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/vaccine-decision/ingredients.html
- Scientific Review of Vaccine Safety